Does your business need a Facebook page?
Many businesses are taking advantage of the age of social media. However, the process of maintaining an on-line presence can be both confusing and time-intensive. That’s why it is important to invest your time and money only in the most appropriate social media and to consider several questions before deciding to establish a presence on Facebook.
Do you have the resources to maintain your company page?
I often see outdated information and discussions on business Facebook pages. This makes the business look out of touch and inefficient. Being on Facebook requires constant wall posts, information updates and interaction with users. You also need to constantly post new content and topics for discussion. After all, engaging and interacting with your existing and potential customers is the purpose of having a business Facebook page. That’s why, if you don’t have the time or resources to update your site regularly, it is best not to have a business presence on Facebook.
Is your product or service geared toward Facebook’s demographic?
The majority of Facebook users are between 18 and 28 years of age. Is your product or service geared towards this demographic? Are you planning to invest in this age category in the hopes of earning a return on your investment a few years down the road? If your answer is yes, Facebook is probably a good social media site for your business. However, just because you can find your target market here does not mean that you will be able to connect with them or increase your sales. People are on Facebook to interact with one another, usually friends and family. So, if you want to educate users about your company and services, you need to establish a source of interaction for future brand identify. The challenge is to engage your target audience in discussions about various topics that may be unrelated to your company, but are of interest to your target market, and to ultimately relate these topics back to your product or service.
Questions to consider when making a decision to establish a Facebook presence:
- - It is easy to create and maintain a Facebook page for your company.
- - Facebook will help you with search engine placement and improve your ranking.
- - It may be a good place to reach your future customers and potential customers.
Facebook facts and figures
- - More than 200 Million people access Facebook from mobile devices each day.
Users who access Facebook on mobile devices are twice as active on Facebook compared to non-mobile users.
- - More than 30 billion pieces of content are shared on the site each day.
- - Facebook generates more than a staggering 770 billion page views per month.
The average Facebook User:
- - has 130 friends on Facebook
- - sends 8 friend requests per month
- - spends an average 15 hours and 33 minutes on Facebook per month
- - visits Facebook 40 times per month
- - spends an 23 minutes (23:20 to be precise) on each visit
- - is connected to 80 community pages, groups and events
- - creates 90 pieces of content each month
Source: facebook.com, pingdom.com
In conclusion, Facebook is a great place for a company to have a presence, but before creating a Facebook page, business owners should consider whether they are prepared to invest the time and resources necessary to maintain constant interaction with users in to reap the benefits.
Many major companies achieved a significant increase in brand recognition by establishing a Facebook presence and interacting with their existing and potential clients. Consider this: if your competition is on Facebook, there may be a good reason for your business to be there, too.
Ali Mohammadi is the founder of Global Access Group, a web design company; Global Access Hosting, a web presence provider company; Montreal Networking Group, a Montreal-based business networking group; and Fantasia Events and Entertainment, a Montreal-based special events management and coordination company.